If you answer “Yes” to even some of the above questions, please talk to your health care provider as soon as possible. You may have a perinatal mental illness. Only a qualified health care professional can make this diagnosis. Early diagnosis and early treatment can help lead to a full recovery. Print off a copy of this checklist, fill it in, and share it with your health care provider to better help them understand your symptoms.
- Do you feel like something isn’t quite right?
- Are you nervous about leaving your partner and child alone?
- Do you think your partner answers “Yes” to many of these questions?
If you think you may be affected by a perinatal mental illness, you may want to screen yourself using the following screening tool and bring the results to your doctor. Please know that screening high does not give a diagnosis. Only a health care professional can do so. However, it may provide an icebreaker for your visit.
The Edinburgh Postnatal Depression Scale (EPDS)
- Translated in 13 languages:
- http://www.perinatalservicesbc.ca/… (EPDS Translated version in 13 languages).