Self Help Guides are useful tools for women to use on their own or in conjunction with therapy and can help with a speedier recovery. There are several great self-help guides available.
The BC Reproductive Mental Health Program has created three amazing and incredibly detailed self-help guides for women coping with perinatal anxiety and/or depression. See the following links to access these guides:
- Coping with Anxiety During Pregnancy and Following Birth
- Coping with Depression During Pregnancy and Following Birth
- Celebrating the Circle of Life, Coming back to Balance and Harmony
The Pacific Postpartum Support Society has a self-help guide for postpartum depression and anxiety called: Postpartum Depression and Anxiety: A Self-Help Guide for Mothers.
- There is a small cost.
- Visit www.postpartum.org/publications-resources/ to order your copy.
Best Start has put together a self-help guide for women living with depression (PDF):
- Managing Depression: A Self-help Skills Resource for Women Living with Depression, During Pregnancy, After Delivery, and Beyond
A group of practitioners and researchers based at the Provincial Reproductive Mental Health Program at BC Children and Women’s Health Centre and St. Paul’s Hospital in Vancouver, BC have put together a self-help guide for women with postpartum depression and/or anxiety:
The Women’s Health Clinic offers a Coping with Change – A New Parent’s Guide booklet available in English or French at http://womenshealthclinic.org/what-we-do/maternalhealth/mothering-support/.